Friday 19 February 2010

what's your heartsong?

Hey.

So I've been watching American Idol recently, you know, because it's showing, and a thought occurred to me in the middle of the latest episode.

Singing requires you to be vulnerable. When you get up there and open your mouth to let your heart talk, you expose it to whoever is listening. That's why people get so quickly offended when you tell them they suck. They feel like you've attacked them while they were allowing you to see them as they are.

I don't know how well this is coming across. I haven't written a post like this in a while.

So yeah.

When I sing in front of people, I know that I am allowing this to happen. That someone hearing me sing and understands what I'm saying through the song probably understands me better than they did before.
In the past, I was afraid to sing in front of people because I was afraid of exposing myself so easily.

As I have slowly come to terms with performing, I realise I have also slowly come to terms with being emotionally honest with people.
And myself.

I've come to realise that showing weakness doesn't make you weak. That telling someone you love them doesn't make you a wuss. That hurting is a hundred times better than not feeling at all.

It's crazy that this all became presentable thought during a show I watch for mere entertainment.

Still feels good though.

Kind of like a revelation.

I just realised that music has made me a more well rounded person. I'm more aware of me.

Which makes me more aware of you.

Hope you're all well.

:)

No comments: