Friday 30 April 2010

the mysterious blue basket

When you think life's done surprising you, something happens and you realise you're an idiot and that you'll never ever be prepared enough for what's about to happen next.

Today, Jazz was making a lot of noise. Whining and crying and stuff. She usually does that when she wants to pee. When she wants to pee, I usually just let her out and then she comes back when she's done.

Sounds cool, right?

Right.

So I let her out.

THEN IT HAPPENED.
My neighbour was on his way out and had his gate open. My dog bolted out our gate (I thought it was because she really needed to pee) and into their house, after which he closed the gate on her and drove off.

My dog was trapped.

She didn't seem alarmed though, so I sighed and walked over to go ring the bell and ask the leftover neighbours to open the gate for my dog while profusely apologising for her misbehaviour.

I rang the bell.

Neighbour answered.

I said hi, apologised and explained the situation. They were all very understanding and gracious about it and opened the gate for me to get the dog.

The second I stepped into their compound, Jazz started attacking the blue basket in the corner.
I tried grabbing her in the first few seconds, but when I saw that she was using teeth, I backed off.
(You have to remember that if your dog bites a human, any human, you have to have it put down. No two ways about it.)

This is the part where I looked into the basket and was horrified to find that there were THREE LIVE, BLENDING CHICKENS IN THE BASKET.
This is also the part I started freaking out like crazy on the inside.

Now, neighbour man tried stopping the dog too. I was still trying to drag her from the chickens with my leg, but she was a dog on a mission. And she was going to have those chickens whether we liked it or not.
Neighbour man figured he'd meet the problem halfway by removing the chickens from the situation.

But as all perfect scenarios go, by this time, Jazz had her teeth firmly around one of the birds.

OF COURSE.

WHY NOT?

Neighbour man pulled the chicken, and the one that was hanging onto it for dear life, up high above his head.

Then Alex, the superhero, jumped over the fence and grabbed Jazz by the collar and pulled her away.

I think everyone could hear the savage dog growling and crazy chicken screaming.

We apologised time and time over for our dog attacking their chickens.
And they apologised too for having hit our dog in the process of trying to save their chickens.

It was so bizzarre.
Even if you asked me after what happened today, one of the LAST things I'd expect my neighbour to have is a crate of live chickens. That goes on the list right after a fully loaded machine gun and pixie named Matilda.

At first I was kind of peeved at myself for not trying harder to save the chickens and stop the mad dog. But then I got over it.

I'm still not speaking to my dog for another three days, though.

One day for every chicken in that basket.

--

Let's learn something new today:
When your neighbour has a mysterious blue basket out front, it probably contains livestock.
Be wary.
Especially if you own an animal/sibling that may take a hungry liking to said livestock.

Hope you're all well.

:)


No comments: