Friday 1 February 2008

Eyes or ears?

Just say you had to lose either your sight or hearing RIGHT NOW. Which would you choose?

We were discussing this at the foyer today, and the replies that I heard kind of shocked me slightly. There were five or six of us there, and everyone but me said that they would rather lose their hearing.

I was stunned. Seriously, I can't understand that. Sure, there will be things that you won't be able to do once your sight is gone. But living in silence? *shudders* I don't think I can do that.

If your choice is losing hearing over sight, don't think I'm trying to convert you or anything. I'm really not. I just thought this would be a really good topic to cover. And it would be interesting to see which one you'd pick. Put it in the tagbox. I wanna know.

So, back on the topic. Why do I choose keeping my hearing over sight? I have three words for you:


That's right, I can't go without it, and therefore, the choice is easy for me to make. Some of you who aren't as attached as I am would probably be more inclined to choosing sight. I do understand that that might be the case, but I was shocked at the response nonetheless.

The way I look at it, sight is something that isn't such a bad thing to lose. Why? Because it would mean I can't form first impressions of people. I can't discriminate against someone just because of the way that they look. I can't make decisions based on how convincing people's expressions are.

I see that as somewhat of a gift.

Let's face it. We're all vulnerable to be swayed by things that we can see. Aesthetics have become something that the world has put high on its list of priorities. It's just simpler I guess, without being able to see.

Sure, it poses as danger and can be difficult to deal with at times. But what isn't right? Everything has it's disadvantages. And it's when you dwell on them, that they become something you fear.

Neither losing sight or hearing is pleasant. Especially if you already know what they are like. Being born without one or the other would be easier than losing it after you have had it, but that is part of the question. You know what they are like, so it becomes a bit more difficult to imagine.

Music is something that I absolutely cannot live without. It's just a part of me that has been planted and nurtured my whole life.

I guess I have my parents to thank for that. They have always encouraged music around the house. It helps that they are musically inclined too. Growing up in an environment with music playing a huge role has made it something I can go to whenever I want. My safeguard. I love it.

You can still see without sight. People can describe, and by hearing the description, you can paint a mental picture of it. And you can make it look like what you want it to. You can still read without sight. It's called Braille, people. You can still navigate. It's harder, but still possible. Aided by your other heightened senses, it is something that you will get used to.

It can't be fun losing a sense. And I'm not saying that you should go and get rid of one now, I'm just wondering what you people have to say about it.

So leave a tag. Or, even better, if you have a blog, blog about it. *hint hint* Cassie. Haha.

I'm out. :)

No comments: