Sunday 24 February 2008

-C-U-T--H-E-R-E-

My turn to write about Cassie's subject of choice.

So. What is 'emo'? Well, the definition is quite hazy, and there is no one definition for it. It's like nobody really knows where it came from. As far as I understand, 'emo' was derived from the musical genre of 'emotive hardcore'. From there, it became a very generic term and lost it's initial meaning. The wide use has made us new generations confused about it.

I don't claim to know about the origins of the word. I'm just trying to understand it and make it clear what I DO and don't understand about it before I continue. Now you know, I'm gonna continue.

This post will be using the word 'emo' to describe what it has become in this day and age. The tight pants, black hair, eyeliner, 'I hate myself' sorta thing. Most people that claim to be 'emo' also tend to be self destructive. But not all.

Okay, so my opinion about 'emo' people. I'd say that we could do with a whole lot less of them. I don't think that they go about life the right way, and they are wasting their time. If they aren't wasting it, they are thinking of ways to get rid of it altogether. Gah. I can't understand why anyone would want to do that. But that's my opinion.

Progressing, 'emo' people tend to get a lot of crap for the whole 'cutting' thing. Others tend to think that they are just trying to get attention and make people pity them as much as they pity themselves. Yes, some of them ARE like that. But, again, not all. Many people that cut themselves are just trying to find a release from the world.

The next part of this post is more about cutting rather than 'emo' people. I find that those who cut themselves hardly fall under the category of 'emo'. Rather, they fall under the category of 'hurting'. 'Emo' is more for show. It's like, 'I'm emo. Feel sorry for me.' To which I say 'heck no'. Why should I feel sorry for someone who is intentionally giving me reasons to? It's like shoving scars in my face and saying 'look how hardcore I am'. Ha. I don't need to hear it.

Instead of looking at 'emo' people, we should turn and look at those who really are hurting and need help. Not psychological help. (Though it DOES get there after a certain point.) Help out of their situation. Help them get away from what they are trying to hard to shake off.

We have to understand that sometimes, they can't help feeling the way they do. Some people just feel more than others. They feel the hurt more deeply and dwell on it longer than what is expected of them. This emotional pain torments their soul to a point where they cannot think of anything else. It comes from being scared and pushed away a lot of the time. And when they want it to go away so bad, they turn to cutting to make the pain stop, even if it's momentarily.

Why cutting though? Why resort to self destruction? I'll tell you why. It's a little known fact that cutting makes the body release endorphins. When you hurt yourself, whether intentionally or otherwise, your body's natural reaction is to release endorphins to counter the pain. I'm not saying that those who do cut themselves know this and that's why they do it. But it makes them feel better and so they keep going back to it. Plus, since the physical pain doesn't settle in immediately, it DOES give them the release they are looking for.

Most of these people don't even want to cut themselves. They don't want to have to resort to hurting themselves. They want it to stop and just don't know how. If you read some of the things these kids say, you'll realise they are hurting SO bad and are in crazy pain. They have no one to go to or to even talk to. Sure, you may not believe me now, but once you take a look at what they have to say, you'll realise that they are really misunderstood.

You know, those who cut themselves have low self esteem and, on top of being in a lot of emotional pain, live in fear. They come from places where it's impossible to feel of any use. And we, as those who are better off (in terms of surroundings) don't take any action in reaching out to these people who so desperately need it. Instead, we choose to push them away and make them feel more lonely and insecure than they already are. Why? I ask. Are we intentionally being cruel or is it just something that doesn't register? Either way, we should have a bit more awareness about things like this and have a bit more compassion for other people.

We were all made equally. No one deserves less than the next person. Yet we isolate, scorn and make others feel like much less than they are. How would you like it? It's horrible to be lonely. You have no one to turn to. You lose self confidence. You lose the meaning in life. And once you have lost the meaning in life, what's the point of living it right? Those thoughts lead to suicide. Keep that in mind.

So the next time you see someone who looks in need of a friend, don't hesitate to reach out. Why waste an opportunity to change someone's life for the better? Must you be that selfish? If your answer was 'yes', I assure you that you will lose friends. Not only that, but you will also find that slowly, you become someone without real emotion. Read the stories and you will see what I mean.

Reach out to someone. Save a life.

--

If you have any more to add or discuss, please mention it in the tag box. I'm not here to force my opinion on you. I just want to get others thinking and to open my own mind in the process.

Thanks for reading.

No comments: