Friday 21 May 2010

why i hate geography

On her surprise party.

"But I spoke to you almost everyday!"

"Yeah. I had to live extra hard so I'd have stories to tell."

:)

--

When I was about eight, Mahm and Dad went to visit a couple of their friends one night, leaving Alex and I with the maid at home.

They got back and that morning, I was told about the couple's kid. Mahm was rants and raves about him. The thing she was most impressed with was the fact that he could draw a rather accurate map of the world from memory. In ten minutes.

FROM MEMORY.

And of course, she compared me to him and was like,

"He can draw a map of the world without looking!"

"Uh huh."

"Can you do that?"

"Um. I don't think so."

*pause*

"Okay. Your project for the day is to draw a map of the world. If you think it's too hard, I suppose you can refer to a book."

And then she walked off.

You can only imagine the incredulous look on my face.

After a short protest, I walked briskly (stomping is unbecoming) to my room and pulled out the chair and sat down forcefully.
(If you think these actions are weird, it's evident you have never had to have a silent tantrum before.)

I pulled out a sheet of paper and the giant atlas we own and started my mundane task. It didn't make any sense to me why I was doing that. So the kid was a geographical freak. Good for him. It wasn't really my cup of tea.

I did so much as to put a wonky Greenland and most of North America on the sheet when I was about done with it.
DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY ISLANDS ARE ABOVE NORTH AMERICA?!?

Yeah, I don't know either. I was guessing.

I showed my mother what I had done and she was like,

"That's nowhere as good as-"

(This is the point where my brain stopped receiving information because it was still swimming with all the lines it just had to translate into hand movements.)

She basically was nowhere near satisfied with it. She scolded me. I stood there. She finished. I walked away.

I threw the piece of paper on the table and crawled up onto the top bunk hoping to never have to ever do that again.

Which is why, I think, I hate geography so much.

The end.

--

Hope you're all well.

:)


2 comments:

Sue Shiew said...

I dont remember this at all!!!! I dont even remember which friend's kid you are referring to. Did you make this up?????hehehe.....

if I did.....I am sorry. What a terrible mum I am....sob sob.....but its ok la, I also dont like geography and I dont even know why!

Pasty said...

You don't like it because I was terrible at it and you had to struggle the whole time teaching me.

the end.