Sunday 16 May 2010

a conversation

"Adam?"

He looked up from the birthday card he was making,

"Yeah?"

"Do you ever get sad?"

He paused for a moment and then replied.

"No."

I sighed. I kind of knew that was gonna be his answer. I don't know what I was hoping for. Maybe a secret trick to being happy. Kids always seem to hold the answers to these kinda things.
I decided to push for a bit more.

"Why d'you suppose that is?"

He shrugged as he went back to his colouring.

"Why should I be sad? All my friends are nice to me."

And then it hit me.

Hit me in the face like the fourth pillar of the Taj Mahal.
For Adam, happiness is a constant state of being. He doesn't exist neutrally, expecting things to make him happy and then going back to neutral when they go away.
He's just happy.

He lives happy.

And that's how I want to live too.

No comments: