Monday 30 June 2008

I am WOMAN. Hear me ROAR.

Hey guys, sorry for the mini break I took. I had stuff to do. :) But I'm back now.

Ready?

Here we go:


Okay, I need you to read the icon, absorb it and only then, continue. Take time to read between the lines.

The icon basically is a reminder to girls that they are valuable. That they should treasure themselves. I guess you could also see it as a reminder for guys, that girls worth having are the ones that have to be chased.

A perfect example of how this plays out is how guys tend to spring for the girls that make it easy for them. Why? Because it's effortless. Guys who do this often find confident girls intimidating. They don't feel like they have the upper hand anymore.

The world sends us messages that sometimes destroy us. It has rules on what makes someone 'pretty' or what makes someone 'handsome'. It sets these rules that make average sized people 'fat'. It puts all this emphasis on being physically attractive. Like it's the only thing important in life.

I find that girls that go out with countless guys have very low self esteem. It may not show when you look at them, and talk to them, but if you think about it, I think you'll be able to see what I'm saying. Girls that date a lot are looking for some form of validation. They want to feel like someone wants to be with them, or at least wants them. They may want to feel accepted, safe, or even protected and that is fine. But dating as many guys as you can isn't the best way to go about it.

Let's use this example:

I have two boxes. One is made to be aesthetically pleasing, and the other is to hold fragile valuables. Now, the box for valuables is by no means ugly. It isn't. The maker just paid more attention to making it suitable for it's job than to attract attention.

The other box on the other hand is solely made to be a decoration. Made of glass, it is always noticed, and examined. It is kept clean, and always sparkles.

The boxes are kept on the same shelf, positioned next to each other. But because one is more colourful than the other, the little chest is often ignored or only given a once over. Few even consider the fact that there could be valuables in there. Most of them are drawn to the other box.

Because I am clumsy, I accidentally run into the shelf. It shakes and both boxes are thrown onto the floor. The pretty box shatters, but the other box stays intact. In fact, there is only a shallow dent on the surface. To make sure that my boo boo didn't do too much harm, I open the box.

I see the antique china that my grandmother gave me and breathe a sigh of relief.

I smile, and put the box back on the shelf.

Then, I grab a broom and sweep up the remains of the other box. I pick up the little bits of paper I kept inside of it and pocket them.

The last thing I do is cycle over to the nearest mall and pick up another box that is just as, if not more, attractive than the old one.

--

The boxes represent two people with different values. The pretty box didn't serve much of a purpose. The practical box, however, did exactly what it was made to do. Boxes are meant to contain things. That's what the hollow space inside of one is for.

My bumping into the shelf represents a problem in life. The pretty box couldn't take the intensity, and as it hit the ground, it broke. It shattered to a million pieces, and what did I do? I swept it into a bin, and replaced it. Simple as that.

On the other hand, the practical box was placed back onto the shelf because it could withstand the impact and wasn't badly affected by it.

Naturally most people would want the pretty box over the practical one. That would be unless they wanted a box to hold something important.

In the analogy I placed the boxes next to each other on the shelf to show you a comparison. To show how silly it is to have box as good as empty on a shelf when you need a box to hold something of value. Because the pretty box was breakable, there wasn't anything important in it. I knew that if it broke, it's contents would be damaged.

Now think about it.

Do you wanna be the pretty box? Do you really want to face a problem in life, shatter, and be remembered by a scrap of paper serving as a reminder to wash the dog? Do you want to be thrown away without the bat of an eye and replaced?

Or do you want to be valued as much as your contents? To know you served your purpose and be recognised for it?

You give yourself your own value. No one else has that ability. YOU choose your price.

You can make yourself 'easy'. But you also have the capability of becoming someone who can fall time and time again only to pick yourself up and say 'I'm okay.' Which will you choose?

Why are gems valuable? Because their hard to find. They are rare.

What makes you different than everyone else? What sets you apart?

There are millions upon millions of beautiful people in the world. You have to be someone in order to stand out. Outer beauty only lasts so long. Once it's gone, ask yourself, what are you gonna be left with?

You have been blessed with the gift of life.

Make something of it.

--

Girls, you don't have to be affected by remarks other people make regarding appearance. If you are confident and self-assured, they bounce right off. It doesn't even affect you. Don't give into the demands of the world. Swim against the current.

--

Thanks for getting all the way here. This post took AGES to write. I'm suffering from a severe case of writer's block.

INSPIRE ME.

Comments and opinions to the tagbox please. I'd happily re-address this issue if you feel I should tackle another angle of it. Just say the word.

Thanks.

:)

No comments: